I didn’t touch a single drop of booze in 2016. It’s probably the first time I’ve done an entire year sober since about 1996 – and I have learned a LOT.
One of the biggest things I learned is that there is an immense amount of truth in the well known proverb ‘great oaks from little acorns grow’. Put simply – you just need to focus on making small changes. Over time these small changes will lead to big results, and it’s with this in mind that I reckon I can confidently offer the best goddamn advice I’ve ever felt able to impart. Tried and tested.
If 2016 has been a bit shit, and you’ve lost your way a bit, then I can tell you EXACTLY what you need to do in 2017. It’s simple, and there are only 2 things you need to do to make 2017 your total bitch:
- Stop drinking
- Start running
This plan is stupidly simple, but it will impact just about every aspect of your life – especially if you’re currently a slave to the booze.
You can take small steps to start with: chuck out your booze, start running once or twice a week… and before you know it you’ll start noticing the benefits:
- Saving money
- Losing weight – No booze = less calories in, Running = more calories out
- Focused mind – The time spent running is great for coming up with evil plans and schemes
- Better sleep – Basically, makes living easier. Also you’ll become mega-productive
- Better decision making
- Better relationships – Everyone loves a drunk bastard, but it’s good to have more than beer in common with your mates
All of this stuff (little acorns) adds up to a much better quality of life (great oak). For me the lack of booze removed the bad decision making and the work paranoia, and the running gave me drive and focus – plus I come up with most of my ideas when I’m running, including blog posts.
The only pointers I would offer are these:
- Don’t try and run a marathon straight off the bat. Just start with a bit of running. Don’t ruin yourself because if you don’t enjoy it – you probably won’t stick at it. Work your way up to 5k, and then aim to do that 3 times a week. I’d recommend getting a free app like Strava for your phone so you can track that shit, yo.
- If you struggle to stop drinking without getting the shakes then don’t. It can be fatal to go cold turkey. See a doctor and let them help you come off the booze. Don’t you die on me!
Seriously though, don’t die coz of my advice. It would really really make my blog look bad.
Have a great New Year everyone!
Wanna read my big wanky blog from the start? Click here.
Show us some fuckin’ love by buying yourself a lovely SoberPunks T-shirt here.