Eight Thousand Seven Hundred & Sixty

That’s approximately how many hours it’s been. One whole year since I last had a drink, and since I last got drunk. Drinking, getting drunk – they’re the same thing! You drink to get drunk, right? Hell yes. This is part of the problem…

Following A LOT of false starts, this is the longest I’ve been sober since I was probably 16 years old – 20 years ago. This time it feels different. I’ve approached it from a positive angle, I’ve rationalised the whole thing, and I’ve surrounded myself with the right information and the right people. This time it’s for good – going back to the my old life would be a suicide mission. Admittedly it would be fun for a few weeks, but in the long run…. nah. Been there, had a blast, moved on.

I was never the classic alcoholic. I’ve never been homeless, and I have always managed to hold down a decent job – but it wasn’t easy operating through the fog of hangovers and paranoia. I wasn’t the guy picking up a drink in the morning to stop the shakes, but I was the guy occasionally picking up a drink on a Sunday morning to keep the one-man party going. Every weekend, for as long as I can remember, has been about getting obliterated. I fucking love it, I love it too much, and that’s why it’s an issue. Personal relationships have suffered due to drinking; that’s probably the biggest casualty.

I promised myself that when I hit 1 year sober I would start this blog for 3 reasons:

1. To mark the occasion, and give it the recognition it deserves
  2. In the hope that my forthcoming meanderings will resonate with at least a few people. If I can help other people, then I’ll have a responsibility to them and therefore a responsibility to stay sober. Similar to the 12th step, for those of you who are familiar with the AA programme
  3. To build a community and encourage sharing. I aim to add a forum to the blog at some point, and I’m on the lookout for guest bloggers (wanna share your story? drop me a message via the contact form). This is why it’s called SOBERPUNKS and not SOBERPUNK. Group huuuuug.

I won’t be imposing any rules for this blog – no agreed post frequencies, no opinions censored, no rigor around topics, no target demographic (despite the name SOBERPUNKS – more on this in a future blog).

I’m keen to keep this blog as honest as possible. In my next couple of posts I’ll be setting the scene with a bit more about me (northern lad, living down south, bit chunky, engaged to a goddess, likes pizza, climbing, and shit music, hates vacuum cleaners) and my ideas for developing the blog. After the initial niceties you can expect drunken horror stories, tales of previous attempts to quit drinking, things I’ve learned throughout my experiences, relationship disasters, and anything else which I decide to fire into cyberspace.

This blog is for anyone with an interest in alcohol struggles. Drinkers, teetotalers, serial quitters, those worried for a loved one, all genders, all ages, all tastes. Everyone is welcome.

No fucking Coldplay fans though. There’s a limit.

Advertisements

23 thoughts on “Eight Thousand Seven Hundred & Sixty

1. straightarrowlife says:

Our experience sounds similar – never lost a job or a place to live over my drinking, but I lived in that fog of pain and paranoia for about six years. Enough is enough! I applaud you on your one year. Congratulations. Onwards. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• jontetsuo says:

Well done on 5 months! You’ll get there. I’ll post soon about techniques that worked for me. Also got a alcohol support worker lined up as a guest blogger, so stick around 😀

2. Seaweed says:

I’m in the process of trying to stop. On the road to getting NHS (no hope sunshine) psychological help for anxiety/stress issues, but no point if still drinking. So close to meaning ‘this is the last one’ and haven’t been wasted drunk for a few weeks.

This will help the burden.
    Brew Dog Nanny State also will help.
    I shall try and reach this number, or at least 2006 as a start.

Thank you btw, and well done sir.

Liked by 1 person

3. John says:

I went to a 12 step mtg on my 12 month. Picked up a keyring. On the walk home I cried tears of joy and amazement. 1 year.12 months of continuous not picking up. That’s something I never thought I could do. But we’re living proof and examples to others struggling to get 1 day, one week, 1 month, that it’s possible. Love & fellowship x

4. TightenUp Tighter says:

Congrats
    8 months in myself

Longest period sober since about 12

Which was the same year I joined the punk scene
    Most likely not too much of a coincidence there

Keep it up

5. Rich says:

Yes mate, kind of on a similar road but my vices were heroin and crack and it took me to some pretty awful places. I found that Rational Recovery (book by Jack Trimpey) and some of the therapeutic psychedelics such as Ayahuasca and Iboga helped me to snap out of it (sounds counter intuitive I know – but check out the facts and the documentaries on these) and also really helped with the insomnia, anxiety, depression and everything that always used to drive me back onto the drugs. The Iboga in particular is known as a body reset (if anybody reading this wants more you might find out more about this amazing drug if you look under Ibogaine which is an extract of Iboga and more famous).
    My problem now is the fucking fags!! Stop for a few months and I become a grumpy bastard, which would be ok except I am a teacher these days…. haha

6. Rich says:

The Iboga in particular is known as a body reset (if anybody reading this wantsto find out more about this amazing drug search for Ibogaine which is an extract of Iboga and more famous – lots of Youtube documentaries etc. out there).
    Other helpful things are meditation (cheesy but try), exercise (great for anxiety and generally feeling good) and eating well. Oh yeah! Fall in love with what you love to do again (or find out what it is) and do it!
    My problem now is the fucking fags!! Stop for a few months and start again, must of done it about 15+ times now… ridiculous… and I become a grumpy bastard, which would be ok except I am a teacher these days…. haha, funny how life changes.

7. Pdi says:

Hi and well done on 1 year sober.
    My problem is that I’d like to cut down and drink sensibly rather than quit completely.
    I’ve been drinking regularly since the age of 15, I’m now 50. I moved away from the UK 8 years ago and alcohol here I’d soooo cheap so I drink every day now. I enjoy it. I don’t always get drunk but I find it takes me a lot more to get drunk these days anyway :/ I have a job and I don’t crave a drink when I wake up but I do feel that I need a drink in the evening. I don’t go to the pub (although I did own one for a while), my wife and I drink at home. I can’t imagine my life without alcohol, I just wish there was a halfway house where I don’t feel the NEED for a drink every day.